Welcome! I am Corinne Kowal the designer behind Emerald Green Interiors.
Known for being the “tall one”, an incurable optimist with a bright outlook on life, and my love for colors, I am also a wife and a mother, a traveled expatriate, and a compulsive reader. I knew early on that I was infected with the color virus, but it was while playing around with aquarelle colors during my fashion design studies in Paris that the limitless scope of the color world downed on me.
I took the needed time getting there (Remember: Rome wasn’t built in a day): I spent almost five years in New York studying some more and working in the fashion world before coming back to Paris, where I directed my career to decoration. A well-established French company allowed me to learn about the trade whilst moving to Berlin. I established my own interior design company in 2010 as the answer to my desire to work hand in hand with clients on projects.
Oh, and before I forget we are now based since 2011 in Brussels.
Want to know more? Here are some cherry-picked facts about me:
- I am very much inspired in my work by the clean and bold lines of the art deco period. Don’t misunderstand me though: I am not a minimalist and appreciate mixing elements of different styles and periods.
- I am addicted to vintage seats (chairs, armchairs, benches and the likes) and love bringing them back to life with new fabrics and sometimes a fresh coat of paint. They can add some much personality in a home. Saying this is terribly unfair to the rest of vintage and antique furniture I could not live without.
- I am a museums’ rat and especially love the works of Matisse, El Greco, Vermeer, Brancusi and Calder. Having spent a consequent time of my child- and adulthood vacationing in the village that saw Matisse evolve into a “fauve” it will come as not surprise that I feel a strong attachment to his colorful work.
- I have traveled quite a bit through Europe and the US, but have also backpacked through Syria and Jordan. Since discovering the cultural treasures of the Middle East, believe it or not I actually dream of visiting Iran, Uzbekistan and Yemen.
- In case you wonder about my accent here is the answer: I am German, born and raised in France and have lived in New York, Berlin and now Brussels. So yes I do speak fluently English, French and German, can somehow manage to order a Pizza in Italian, and am currently trying to learn Dutch. No wonder I sound bizarre in every language I speak.
Intrigued? Curious? Go ahead and…..